Upgrading to Ascii was flawless on my AMD64 architecture. What I did:
1. Fresh install of Devuan Jessie with a Netinstall iso image. (flawless)
2. Changed the name Jessie to Ascii in /etc/apt/sources.list
3. apt-get update
4. apt-get install apt (to make sure apt can handle the new distribution) (flawless)
5. apt-get autoremove
6. apt-get upgrade (flawless)
7. apt-get autoremove
8. apt-get dist-upgrade (flawless)
9. apt-get autoremove
and I am here writing on my newest Devuan system.
uname -a gives:
Linux devuan 4.5.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.5.5-1 (2016-05-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux and
On the way reading this:
I thought to run into graphical problems after rebooting the system, but everything looks like a working xfce environment without any hicups.
Next thing will be the 'How do I change my desktop and cursor theme?' on this system.